We’re almost at the end of the year here, and that means we have one final list of monthly favorites before we narrow them all down to some honorable mentions and the top fifty. December, then, is a bit of an odd month. Mentally, I’m trying to tally all those past listens together while still finding new material for this list. I’ve also decided to make Christmas its own category in the December WILT, because it’s there but I’d rather not have it taking up valuable space. This month was full of some Midwest emo, moody rock, and the occasional show tune. Narrowing it down to twenty gave me a few surprises.
Luckily, we have our good old rules: no more than 20 songs per month, no more than 1 song per artist (not counting features), and no more than 3 songs per compilation album. That helps me narrow down from 42 ‘Liked’ songs on Spotify and pick from numerous albums. At the end of the year, only songs from each of these monthly lists will be eligible for the Best Of list. Songs marked with an asterisk* are old favorites and won’t qualify for my annual list.
Let’s have a listen, shall we?
- “Pool House” by The Backseat Lovers ~ I’ll risk it all to find a place where I can hear my thoughts
- “Dolls” by Bella Poarch ~ Heels, made out of steel, how does it feel / To be walked all over?
- “Talia” performed by Chaz Duffy and the cast of Ride the Cyclone ~ Кохаю / Я тебе кохаю
- “Smoke Breaks” by Daddy and The Long Legs ~ Since the day I gave up and decided to fuck myself over
- “Darcy’s Letter” by Dario Marianelli, English Chamber Orchestra, and Benjamin Wallfisch ~ Instrumental
- “DEADNAME!” by FLASCH ~ The girl you knew is dead to me
- “The French Library” by Franz Gordon ~ Instrumental
- “In Love or Whatever” by Future Teens ~ Feeling like it’s now or never
- “Skeleton Key” by Hunter Daily ~ And you’ll remember all the little things you’ll have no more
- “My Mother & I” by Lucy Dacus ~ Shapeshifting all the time
- “stacy’s brother” by Mad Tsai ~ And the truth is / It ain’t Stacy I undressed
- “December” by Neck Deep ~ I came out grieving, barely breathing and you came out alright
- “Hurts Like Hell” by New Years Day ~ You cut me right to the bone, I’m feeling out of control
- “Longma” by Nini Music ~ Instrumental
- “Forever Drunk” by Peach PRC ~ Don’t eat unless it’s salted lime
- “Love Like That” by Phillip Phillips ~ When you’re up against it, I got your back
- “SPIT ME OUT” by rosecoloredworld ~ So go ahead and hate me
- “Happier in Hell” by Royal & the Serpent ~ Maybe, you’re not sad enough
- “Pink Hotel” by Scene Queen ~ My rates are going up, that’s why you can’t get on my level
- “Anti-Hero – Acoustic Version” by Taylor Swift ~ When my depression works the graveyard shift / All of the people I’ve ghosted stand there in the room
- “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” by Boyfriend and Preservation Hall Jazz Band ~ Your brain is full of spiders
- “ugly xmas sweater party” by girlhouse ~ All of our lies are covered in tinsel now
- “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Hush Kids ~ I’m just gonna keep on waiting underneath the mistletoe
- “Day After Tomorrow” by Phoebe Bridgers ~ I close my eyes every night / And I dream that I can hold you
- “A Nonsense Christmas” by Sabrina Carpenter ~ You’ll be Santa Claus and I’ll be Mrs
I didn’t listen to many new albums other than Sabrina Carpenter’s emails I can’t send. With my newest writing project, it’s still a lot of historical drama scores on in the background. Even as I compile my other lists, we can look forward to January. What will the new year bring? I’m predicting more Midwest emo, maybe a bit more pop, and some indie. Until then, we have time to enjoy what 2022 has brought us musically.
You can find the (almost) complete What I Listened To in 2022 playlist here.
If you enjoyed these suggestions, please consider donating to Reading Malone’s Ko-fi.