When Taylor Swift said, “August slipped away into a moment of time”, she really nailed it. Somehow, this month has both gone by in a blur and dragged. Maybe it’s because I’ve been preparing for The Getaway or busy helping where I can; all I do know is the favorite songs of August came and went with, perhaps, lesser fanfare than previous months. Only time will tell if any of these make the annual list, but, until then, we can appreciate them in this moment. They’re a last sip of summer, a tease of autumn, and full of a certain kind of vibrancy.
We’re still following our guidelines: no more than 20 songs per month, no more than 1 song per artist (not counting features), and no more than 3 songs per compilation album. At the end of the year, only songs from each of these monthly lists will be eligible for the Best Of list. Songs marked with an asterisk* are old favorites and won’t qualify for my annual list. (We can’t underestimate the power of a good throwback). This month we’re narrowing it down from 33 ‘Liked’ Songs on Spotify, along with our usual variations in albums and playlists.
So sit back with something cold, and enjoy the last songs of summer 2022.
- “All The Ways I Could Die” by Arrows in Action ~ Self sabotage is an old friend of mine
- “Expert in a Dying Field” by The Beths ~ And how do you know (how do you know) / It’s over when you can’t let go
- “Beach House” by Carly Rae Jepsen ~ This rollercoaster’s a carousel
- “29” by Demi Lovato ~ Thought it was a teenage dream, just a fantasy / But was it yours or was it mine?
- “W.I.T.C.H.” by Devon Cole ~ Tell me why you so scared of a woman in charge?
- “Be Nice to Me” by The Front Bottoms ~ I’d love to tell you stories, but I can’t remember how they went
- “Rivers and Roads” by The Head and The Heart* ~ Been talkin’ ‘bout the way things change
- “Victoria’s Secret” by Jax ~ Can’t have carbs in a hot girl summer
- “10 Things I Hate About You” by Leah Kate ~ Five, you’re toxic, four, can’t trust you
- “Grrrls” by Lizzo ~ ‘Cause that’s my girl, we codependent
- “Cleopatra” by The Lumineers* ~ Damn your wife, I’d be your mistress just to have you around
- “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star ~ Colors your eyes with what’s not there
- “Megan’s Piano” by Megan Thee Stallion ~ Bitch got receipts but ain’t never finna buy shit
- “fever dream” by mxmtoon ~ I want something more than / More than restless mornings
- “Bitch Back” by Olivia O’Brien feat. FLETCHER ~ Bitch, you’re my only plus one (ah, ah)
- “Teenage Renegade” by Robinson ~ I got brighter as the sun was going down
- “SNAP” by Rosa Lin ~ How many last songs are left? I’m losing count
- “I Think He Knows” by Taylor Swift* ~ Lyrical smile, indigo eyes, hand on my thigh / We can follow the sparks, I’ll drive
- “Kitchen Song” by Tessa Violet ~ I love the lines around your eyes
- “The Funeral” by YUNGBLUD ~ I was hoping you’d look beautiful / Dancing with tears in your eyes
As for albums, I’ve been re-listening to Lizzo and Harry Styles’ newest releases, and you know I always have Taylor on rotation. I’ve also been enjoying a playlist of summer songs curated by my friend M, and I’ll enjoy that sweet sugar pop till it’s time to turn toward autumn. I have no idea what September will bring—musically—but I’m going to guess I’ll have some assistance curating my favorites. My upcoming journey will take me toward different seasonal sounds than expected, but I’m up for new discoveries.
You can find the ongoing What I’m Listening To in 2022 playlist on Spotify.
If you enjoyed this playlist, please consider donating to Reading Malone’s Ko-fi.
You must log in to post a comment.