This month’s music mood has been hard to describe. It’s cleaning my room to the soundtracks of both Mamma Mia movies. It’s the same CDs in my car and playing them on repeat, loud. It’s jamming to a playlist on Spotify called “FUCK Men.” Or a video of lofi songs from the 50s and 60s. It’s listening to the same song before bed every night because it makes me feel the right kind of sad and lonely. September was all over the place.
Compared to August, we have fewer songs from TikTok and more found via YouTube and Spotify. Some of my favorite artists and albums make reappearances—one from way earlier in the year—and we have some new contenders for great jams. A few songs are ones I was already familiar with but have found new reasons to love this month. Unlike my annual list there isn’t a demand that these songs be exclusively new to 2020; it’s my list, my rules.
Headphones on and volume up—let’s go.
- “girlfriend” by Bea Miller ~ I just wanna play with your hair.
- “Supalonely” by BENEE feat. Gus Dapperton ~ I loathe romancing in itself yea I’d be damned to try.
- “Vienna” by Billy Joel ~ Dream on, but don’t imagine they’ll all come true.
- “Wrap Me in Plastic” by CHROMANCE feat. Marcus Layton ~ We can make a dollhouse, follow your design.
- “Daddy” by Die Antwood ~ Please can you buy me those funky pyjamas / the cool baby blue pyjamas / with the big yellow bananas.
- “I’m Not Mad” by Halsey ~ I don’t even hope you die these days / I hope you live ‘til 85 these days.
- “Maria” by Hwa Sa ~ 외로워서 어떡해 / 미움마저 삼켰어 / (I’m lonely, what do I do? So I swallowed up even the hate).
- “Why Did It Have To Be Me?” by Josh Dylan, Lily James, and Hugh Skinner from Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again ~ I only wanted a little love affair / Now I can see you are beginning to care.
- “Bad Dream” by Jutes ~ Eyes redder than the lips on your mouth.
- “Siren” by Kailee Morgue ~ I’d rather be a creep, baby, follow me into the water.
- “Andante, Andante” by Lily James from Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again ~ Touch me gently like a summer evening breeze.
- “Dedicated to the One I Love” by The Mamas & The Papas ~ Whisper a little prayer for me baby.
- “Girls in the Hood” by Megan Thee Stallion ~ You could check the throwback pics, I been that bitch.
- “Midnight Sky” by Miley Cyrus ~ I don’t need to be loved by you.
- “Honey Hold Me” by Morningsiders ~ Gonna hold my breath until you’re here.
- “According to You” by Orianthi ~ According to him / I’m funny / Irresistible / Everything he ever wanted.
- “Put Your Head on My Shoulder” by Paul Anka ~ Put your lips next to mine, dear.
- “Stay Gold” by PVRIS ~ Wish I could keep you in amber.
- “House With No Mirrors” by Sasha Sloan ~ If he said I was pretty I’d think that I was.
- “exile” by Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver ~ I think I’ve seen this film before / And I didn’t like the ending.
For larger tastes, PVRIS’ newest album, Use Me, was just as awesome as I’d hoped it would be, and Bea Miller’s aurora had a lot of great tracks. I found a few awesome Spotify playlists that I’m really enjoying, and YouTube’s algorithm tends to have my back. With the spooky season now upon us, I’m sure my music will turn a little darker as I intentionally search for those tracks which bring out the killer-witch-ghost vibes. I’m hoping to find some great new songs hidden in the soundtracks of horror movies throughout October.
Until next month, keep jamming.