Way back in October 2012 I started keeping track of what songs I was loving on a monthly basis. I’d make compilation videos on YouTube with audio clips and it helped me keep track of continual favorites, long time listens, and artists that kept popping up. This lasted on and off until the end of 2013 where I switched to just doing my annual list.
With the rather messy way I listen to music nowadays, across multiple platforms, I feel it necessary to reinstate this old tradition to help me keep track of those favorites so I can be prepared for that list at the end of the year. Plus, there’s the added benefit of maybe introducing new music to my readers. As you might have realized from past lists, my tastes are a bit eclectic or focused, depending on my mood, but they’re mine. Unlike on my annual lists, not all of the music is “new songs” and some of them might be old favorites.
With that in mind, here we go!
- “Monsters” by All Time Low featuring blackbear. ~ Why do I run back to you, like I don’t mind if you fuck up my life?
- “What Do I Tell My Friends?” by Bree Runway. ~ Turn it up for a wild one
- “APESHIT” by The Carters. ~ Put some respect on my check
- “This is America” by Childish Gambino. ~ Don’t catch you slipping now
- “New Me” by Ella Eyre. ~ I could play you like you played me
- “Worry About Me” by Ellie Goulding featuring blackbear. ~ But you just wanna be in my head ‘cause you’re lonely
- “Bitter” by Fletcher featuring Kito. ~ I know she’s thinking she found herself a winner
- “I Wish I Mixed My Ex” by Mahalia. ~ This ain’t love, you’re troubling me
- “Beetlejuice” by Mariah the Scientist. ~ Only a fool would hold a grudge over old news
- “Animal” by MISSIO. ~ You know you know me / I like to be intoxicated
- “Dead Weight” by PVRIS. ~ So sick of being your giver
- “Sugar Daddy” by Qveen Herby. ~ If he’s paying (if he pays), I’ll take the oysters
- “Paint it Black” by The Rolling Stones. ~ I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
- “Vicious” by Tate McRae featuring Lil Mosey. ~ Burning bridges, breaking dishes, look you made me something vicious
Most of these were recommendations through YouTube (because I’m a sucker for aesthetic videos), but a few were definite moods I was in or new songs from artists I continually listen to. I’ve also been jamming to the “Kitchen Swagger” playlist on Spotify this month, especially while cooking.
Tune in next month to see what musical gifts July brings!